Duration: Saturday afternoons (13:00 – 16:00) for a period of 8 weeks
About this programme
Graphic design is a creative process undertaken to convey a specific message. As a graphic designer you will use various methods to construct and combine words, symbols and images to create a visual representation of ideas and messages. This practical Short Learning Programme (SLP) in Graphic Design Applications 2 will build on the fundamental skills acquired in the Fundamental SLP. Students will be exposed to various design programmes and learn the intermediate principles of graphic design, with special focus on the printing environment of Graphic Design.
Lectures are presented in a fully equipped graphic design computer studio. You will spend the entire duration of the course at your own computer and receive expert and personal attention from our highly skilled facilitators.
The following topics will be covered in the programme:
- Principles of Graphic Design II
- A brief recap on the principles of design focussed on the print industry.
- Adobe Photoshop
- With Photoshop you can design real and virtual compositions. You will be able to use the various tools to compile projects and also learn more tricks and tips into editing.
- Adobe Illustrator
- Illustrator is mainly used for logo designs, business cards, illustrations and large scale advertising and signage.
- You will be able to use the various tools to compile various typographic elements.
- CorelDraw is very popular in the printing industry. It is a design application that can help you create complex drawings with multiple layers and details.
- Adobe InDesign
- InDesign is a page layout program that works with both raster and vector images. This means you take text and pictures and place them carefully together to compile designs like brochures, magazine pages and more.
- Web Design Principles
- In this section you will learn the basic principles of web design and how to design and do layout for web as static graphics. This will enable you to show your designs to a web designer, who can then further your idea and make it web-friendly. Please note: No web design software or programming is taught.